mercoledì 29 aprile 2009

Notes Toward a Lexicon of the Language of the Bear

I

In its own language its name means:

I walk slowly on hillsides
and sleep with a bellyful
of pleasing berries,
pink flesh, and brains

I dream of love vulgar
and gorgeous beside the rush
of rivers born of glacial ice
and I shun the times of no
plenty, when all is dark
and white and the blossoms
do not love the red fruit into being.

This is the simplest word in its language
and the first one it learns.

II

The bear does not have a word for regret
but the nearest equivalent would be:

I am not proud
to have gone to the end of the world
and eaten garbage there
in dumps among the naked and the thin
when I could not last the winter.

This word is often thought but seldom
spoken among the strong.

III

If you want to say I love you
in the bearish tongue say:

You need not fear me

and translated literally
the word for solitude is:

This side of the mountain is mine.

Paul Vermeersch


Note per un lessico della lingua degli orsi

I

Nella sua lingua il suo nome significa:

Cammino lentamente sul pendio
e dormo dopo una scorpacciata
di gradevoli bacche,
carne rosa e cervelli

Sogno di amore volgare
e splendido accanto alla corrente
di fiumi nati nell'era glaciale
e sfuggo ai tempi di
magra, quando tutto è scuro
e bianco e i fiori
non amano trasformarsi in frutta rossa.

Questa è la parola più semplice nella sua lingua
e la prima che impara.

II

L'orso non ha una parola per dire rimorso
ma l'equivalente più simile sarebbe:

Non sono orgoglioso
di essere giunto alla fine del mondo
e di avervi mangiato spazzatura
in discariche tra il nudo e il sottile
quando non potevo superare l'inverno.

Questa parola è pensata spesso ma pronunciata
raramente tra i forti.

III

Se si vuole dire ti amo
nella lingua plantigrada si dice:

Non devi avere paura di me

e tradotta letteralmente
la parola solitudine è:

Questa parte della montagna è mia.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento