domenica 10 giugno 2012

All of my friends, all of my loved ones, were on the shelves above

September 15, 2006

Dear Shawna Thorup:

I'm glad to hear that you good people will be celebrating my book, "Fahrenheit 451." I thought you might want to hear how the first version of it, 25,000 words and which appeared in a magazine, got done.

I needed an office and had no money for one. Then one day I was wandering around U.C.L.A. and I heard typing down below in the basement of the library. I discovered there was a typing room where you could rent a typewriter for ten cents a half hour. I moved into the typing room along with a bunch of students and my bag of dimes, which totaled $9.80, which I spent and created the 25,000 word version of "The Fireman" in nine days. How could I have written so many words so quickly? It was because of the library. All of my friends, all of my loved ones, were on the shelves above and shouted, yelled and shrieked at me to be creative. So I ran up and down the stairs, finding books and quotes to put in my "Fireman" novella. You can imagine how exciting it was to do a book about book burning in the very presence of the hundreds of my beloveds on the shelves. It was the perfect way to be creative; that's what the library does.

I hope you enjoy reading my passionate output, which became larger a few years later and became popular, thank God, with a lot of people.

I send you all my good wishes,

Ray Bradbury

(Thanks to Letters of note)


15 settembre 2006

Cara Shawna Thorup,

Mi fa piacere venire a sapere che voi brava gente festeggerete il mio libro "Fahrenheit 451". Ho pensato che potreste voler sentire come fu realizzata la sua prima versione, di 25.000 parole, che fu pubblicata su una rivista.

Avevo bisogno di un ufficio e non avevo soldi per permettermene uno. Poi, un giorno, mentre gironzolavo per la U.C.L.A., sentii battere a macchina giù, nel seminterrato della biblioteca. Scoprii che c'era una stanza per scrivere a macchina in cui si poteva noleggiare una macchina per scrivere per dieci centesimi all'ora. Mi spostai in quella stanza con un gruppo di studenti e il mio sacchetto di spiccioli, che conteneva un totale di 9,80 dollari, che spesi, e creai la versione di 25.000 parole de "Il pompiere" in nove giorni. Come riuscii a scrivere così tante parole così velocemente? Fu grazie alla biblioteca. Tutti i miei amici, tutti i miei cari, stavano sugli scaffali ai piani di sopra e mi urlavano, gridavano e strillavano: "Sii creativo!". Così correvo su e giù per le scale per cercare libri e citazioni da inserire nella mia novella "Pompiere". Può immaginare quanto emozionante fosse scrivere un libro su roghi di libri proprio in presenza dei miei cari sugli scaffali. Era il modo perfetto per essere creativo; è questo, quello che fa una biblioteca.

Spero che le piacerà leggere il mio appassionato risultato, che si ampliò qualche anno dopo e cominciò ad essere apprezzato, grazie a Dio, da un sacco di persone.

I miei migliori auguri,

Ray Bradbury

(Grazie a Letters of note)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento